Sunday, February 22, 2009

Negative Thoughts

I've had a rotten cold. I did the weight routine three more times -- good on me -- but fell off the wagon with a horrid cold and fever. I'm not sure the trainer got my two email messages canceling and I'm obsessing over that. As if no one else ever got sick.

I'm also obsessing over when to restart weights. I found a medically decent piece that says weights with a head cold and no fever do no harm. I have a chest cold and fever. And asthma which gets seriously awful with the least virus or infection.

I figured out today -- I'm clearly on the mend but no where near well -- after about two hours of research that this feeling of being overwhelmed and inadequate is a big chunk of why I just give up. Or it is a ploy to let me give up. I have no idea which.

While I'm being all negative, why does everybody call this a journey? It's as if we're going on a lovely trip to Tahiti. Just pack your bags and you're on your way. No it isn't a lovely trip. It's all about changing habits and learning new things and facing yourself and it's all very very hard. That 'journey' stuff seems like the same kind of denial that got a lot of us here, you know.

My apologies to anybody I offended, but I know if I'm going to do this I need to tell myself the truth. I do some of that here.

In spite of it all, I'm down 8.4 lbs. Not a lot but the direction is right.

I found this at the WomanaSports Foundation. It is about core training for athletes. If I start thinking of myself as an athlete maybe I'll treat my body better.

o when training the core for sports, it's best to have the hips and back in the open air, supported only by the core muscles. The following core exercises do just that:

* Planks - Hold the core in an isometric position and challenge the entire core. A plank is done in the push up position – hold that position for 4 – 6 deep breaths.

* Standing Leg Circles - Circle your leg to the front, hips and upper body should not move. Add a resistance band around your legs for a greater challenge - the hips and shoulders stay squared to the front. Circle 8 times to clockwise, 8 times counterclockwise.

* Standing Leg Lifts - Work the core from all directions. Keep your hips and upper body still while you lift your leg to the front, side and on a diagonal. Use quick, short lifts and only move your leg. Add a resistance band around your legs for a greater challenge. Perform 16 quick pulses to the front, side and diagonal.

* Standing Arm Circles - With a hand held weight, challenge the core to stay still. Hold a dumbbell with two hands. Make a big circle to the front using the weight. Keep your middle tight and don't sway your hips. Circle 8 times clockwise, 8 times counterclockwise.

Working the core as a unit can be done everyday. You'll only need to spend 10 minutes each day for great looking abs. The secret is out. Spread the word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suppose people like to call it a journey because "horribly arduous trek" just doesn't have the same ring to it. But "journey" isn't necessarily bad. It implies it's a long distance and hints that there might be adventure along the way: and not necessarily good. Otherwise, people would name their blogs, "My Weight Vacation".

:)